California Tax Service Center

New To California

Are you new to California? If so, welcome to our great state! We know you may want to learn about California and its taxes. Whether you're an individual or a business, we've gathered some information that may make your move to our state easier. Just click on the subjects that interest you. In addition, we have a Newcomer's Checklist that you may find helpful.

Sales and Use Tax Information

If you are starting a new business in California and intend to sell or lease tangible personal property that would ordinarily be subject to sales tax if sold at retail, you must obtain a seller's permit. You will be in the company of nearly one million businesses that are registered with the BOE. As a seller, you will be reporting taxes to the BOE on a regular basis and will most likely have questions regarding your responsibilities under the Sales and Use Tax Law. See Doing Business for more information on what is taxable, district taxes, and how to register with the BOE.

Payroll Tax Information


The EDD administers California's payroll taxes, including Unemployment Insurance, Employment Training Tax, State Disability Insurance, and Personal Income Tax withholding. Employers conducting business in California are required to register with and file reports and pay taxes to EDD. See Doing Business to learn how to register with EDD.


Publication 15 (circular E), Employer's Tax Guide, explains your federal tax responsibilities as an employer. It explains the requirements for withholding, depositing, reporting, and paying federal employment taxes. It explains the forms you must give your employees, those employees must give you, and those you must send to the IRS and SSA. This guide also has tax tables you need to figure the taxes to withhold for each employee for 2000.

Additional employment tax information is available in Publication 15, Circular E - Employer's Tax Guide. Publication 15 includes specialized information supplementing the basic employment tax information provided in this publication.

Most employers must withhold (except FUTA), deposit, report, and pay the following employment taxes:

  • Income tax
  • Social security and Medicare taxes
  • Federal unemployment tax (FUTA)

Income Tax Information

If you are starting a business in California, check out the Starting Your Business and Doing Business pages. If you have additional questions, contact us by telephone or come into a local office.